Transience



__________________________________________________

Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.

Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
___________________________________________________

This was the first poem I ever learnt by heart, when I was just a little kid, and it still resonates, sometimes in haunting whispers.

Sometimes I wonder if all of this photography and filmmaking isn't just a feeble resistance to all that's sinking in this our Eden: a futile attempt to capture the fading moments, the ephemeral beauty, the fleeting life. If I'm honest, perhaps I work to, in Dylan Thomas' words: 'Rage, rage against the dying of the light.'

No comments:

Post a Comment