Men of Men



Here's my Dad & Uncle (also my godfather) having a bit of fun at our local. Since I've been out of the water with my post-op ear, I decided to use the opportunity to go watch them slide the other day, & to grab a few photos. So here they are: Shane & Rhett, identical twins in their late fifties, both grandfathers, playing in the sea on their self-made surfboards. So much of what I understand about so many significant things in life - about being a husband, a parent, a Christian, a surfer, a shaper, a dreamer, a maker - I owe to these two wonderful mentors. Watching them surf together makes me a very proud son & nephew, & very grateful for the heritage of these men of men.

7 comments:

  1. beautiful words and image and thanks on behalf of the rest of the older sliders. in ancient cultures age and experience were valued. in the 21st century post-post-modern west, older folk become invisible in our culture focussed on artifice rather than substance. cheers again and good luck with the ears

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the pleasure of sharing a surf with these fine gents recently. Men of the good walk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. good on ya! sorry to hear about the ear. i can only begin to imagine what its like to watch your father and godpater out in the water sliding across empty faces sharing the same joy that you know of and strive to find.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yeah, sorry for the informality; but i still really enjoy seaworthy such a beautiful film.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Rich. Thanks for the kind feedback. Good on you mate.

    ReplyDelete