Grateful

One of the things I love about surfing, especially our little quirky niche in surfing, is how it can bring people together, regardless of borders or distance. As the old saying goes, it's a small world after all.

Xabi is my friend from Zarautz, in the north of Spain, & he has just shown my film 'Lines From A Poem' in his hometown as part of the Zinematic Surf Film Festival. I'm stoked that Xabi even took the time to translate subtitles for the showing. Just now he sent me through these photos & he reports that everything went well.



These photographs give me goosebumps, because they are taken in a town not so far away from where my own grandfather was born & raised in Euskadi, the beautiful old Basque country that is so far away, but yet so close to my heart. Oh how I wish I could have been there.

Truly, it is wonderful how a surfing life can bestow such rich gifts as unexpected & unlikely - but most welcome - friendship.

Xabi, muchas gracias a mi amigo. Estoy muy agradecido.

5 comments:

  1. Gracias a ti Nathan! You'll be with us next year for sure!
    Un abrazo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Surf blogs have brought the surf community so much closer. It is great to see art being given such a global audience. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. enjoyed reading your trademark eloquence in Surfing World Nathan. so would you put Belinda & Kassia in front of Curren as beautiful surfers?! I know what you mean though, it's so serene and fluid seeing them ride their logs on a long lined up wave..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Joe. Not sure about that question, they're all beautiful, stylish, graceful sliders.

    ReplyDelete
  5. kaixo from Euskadi Nathan. I love your work. It would be a pleasure see you here. You would be welcome

    regards

    Iñaki G

    ReplyDelete